Phone: (305) 358-1001
Direct: (786) 724-1070
Paul A. Shelowitz litigates complex real estate and business cases on behalf of property owners, developers, entrepreneurs, condominium associations and Fortune 500 companies across the U.S. He has successfully tried cases relating to failed joint ventures, corporate dissolutions, construction disputes, commercial foreclosures, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair and deceptive trade practices, civil theft, negligence and breach of contract.
With more than three decades of “Big Law” litigation experience, Paul is an aggressive and passionate attorney who regularly brings cases to trial. He has a keen ability to distill and then simplify the most complex cases. Recently, he spearheaded a team of lawyers who successfully defended against construction related claims exceeding $50 million in a 25-day arbitration in Honolulu, Hawa’ii. In another recent case, Paul collaborated with two law firms in the representation of three Miami Beach condominium associations against a hotel lot owner. The case was tried over two weeks and resulted in a favorable jury verdict in excess of $16 million. Paul also recently achieved a multi-million settlement on the eve of a jury trial on behalf of a minority shareholder against the controlling shareholders of a Miami business that engaged in an elaborate revenue diversion scheme.
Since 2018, Paul has been recognized in Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate Litigation, was named “Most Effective Lawyer” in 2015 by the Daily Business Review for Real Estate Litigation, and in 2014 was included among Florida Trend’s Legal Elite for his commercial litigation work.
Paul’s pro bono service includes acting as guardian ad litem for Miami foster children. He has worked closely with the Miami-Dade Juvenile Court and foster families to see troubled kids through successful school-work programs. He is a long-term Member of the Board of Directors of the Overtown Youth Center, a non-profit charitable organization that provides wide-ranging support and programming for hundreds of underprivileged kids and their families in the Overtown community north of Downtown Miami.
- Real Estate Litigation
- Represented a Fortune 100 institutional developer of a high-end condo/hotel in Maui, Hawa’ii, in a 10-day trial against claims of fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, negligence and breach of contract that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Represented (along with two other law firms) three condominium associations against a private equity firm that serves as the hotel lot owner of the former Canyon Ranch Miami Beach (n/k/a Carillon Hotel) hotel/condo in a 7-day jury trial that resulted in a $16.3 million verdict.
- Represented a developer of a 836-acre equestrian development located in Martin County, Florida, against a large South Florida bank in a 25-day trial involving claims of fraud and lender liability.
- Represented a 1/3 owner of a company holding a 50-year ground lease in Miami Gardens, Florida, in claims exceeding $5 million for breach of fiduciary duty, diversion revenue/profit and related claims.
- Represented an institutional seller of a $24 million shopping center in Raleigh, North Carolina, in a suit involving claims of fraud, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
- Represented Irish Bank Resolution Corp., the successor to Anglo-Irish Bank, in a $100 million foreclosure suit involving the coveted “Sarasota Quay” property.
- Represented the joint venture owner of 2,000 acres of entitled land in Port St. Lucie, Florida, in a suit to terminate a $25 million purchase and sale agreement. The matter concluded with client recovering the lion’s share of $110 million.
- Represented prominent South Florida commercial real estate brokers in commission claims against joint venture developers who together conspired to deprive them of a multimillion-dollar commission.
- Represented the manufacturer of medical devices regarding claims by a southeastern distributor for lost profits involving more than $10 million.
- Represented a large international bank involving the appointment of a receiver and the foreclosure of an incomplete Miami condominium project.
- Represented a former Chief Financial Officer of a privately held technology company involving alleged fraudulent sale of stock to an accredited investor.
- Represented numerous debtors in a matter involving the collection of a multimillion-dollar judgment held by a national finance company.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a matter involving “dissenter’s rights” to enforce a mid-trial settlement agreement reached in a related litigation.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1988; Member, University of Miami Law Review; Summer Honors Program; Book Award Real Property
- B.A., with high honors, The American University, 1985
Honors & Awards
- Since 2018, Mr. Shelowitz has been recognized for his Real Estate Litigation work in Best Lawyers in America.
- In 2015, Mr. Shelowitz was named “Most Effective Lawyer” by the Daily Business Review for real estate litigation.
- In 2014, Mr. Shelowitz was included among Florida Trend’s Legal Elite for his work in commercial litigation.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Chair, Miami Chapter, Big City Mountaineers
- Member, Board of Directors, Overtown Youth Center
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends of the Florida Trail
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Washington, D.C.