Nicole Rekant is an experienced litigator who, for the past 16 years, has focused her practice on construction claims, creditors’ rights and complex commercial matters. In the construction arena, she has helped owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects and other professionals resolve contract claims and disputes, including design and construction deficiencies, delay claims, construction liens and bond and insurance claims in state and federal courts.
Many of her cases involve construction in the hotel and hospitality industry, as well as commercial, residential, retail, high rise, and office buildings. As a business litigator, Nicole represents large and small companies on bankruptcy, state and federal issues involving contracts, disputes, liabilities, fraud, negligence and statutory interpretation. She also has experience advising condominium associations on compliance and insolvency issues; contract matters, including negotiation and preparation; and dispute resolution.
Nicole has significant legal writing experience. She drafts many of the firm’s legal arguments for trial and other important motions throughout the litigation process of various cases. Nicole also has notable background in appellate work in both the Florida district courts of appeal and the Eleventh Circuit. Her briefs exhibit her premium on careful research and persuasive written presentation, a reflection of her previous academic training as a PhD fellow in English and her Master of Arts degree in English.
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 2000
- University of Miami Law Review, Order of the Coif
- M.A., University of Maryland, College Park, 1997
- PhD Fellowship Recipient
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1994
- University of Essex, Colchester, England, 1992-1993
Bar/Court Admissions and Certifications
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Professional and Community Activities
- University of Miami Teaching Appellate Judge for Law Student Legal Writing Courses
- Member, Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Miami Beach Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association